Thursday, June 29, 2017

How I Come Out of Reading Slumps Fast


     Reading slumps are terrible, terrible times and they take f o r e v e r to come out of. I've been in so many it's a little shameful, and especially this year I had a lot because I had five AP classes and senior stuff so reading just always felt like more work.
     So, if you're like me and you frequently struggle with reading slumps, or even if a book just bored you a little and it's taking forever, here is how I come out of the slump:

     Put down the book. Put it down and leave it.
          Right now I am coming out of a reading slump because of King's Cage and it's hitting me hard. The book is just soo slow right now in the beginning, like there's some action but it's written really slowly, and it's a little tiring reading it. I'll read for like thirty minutes, count the pages, and I only read like 10. So I'm putting down that book for now and will pick it back up after I finish another. I'm thinking Mark of Athena, the third book in the Heroes of Olympus series will be a great book to take me out of the reading slump.
         Also, when you put it down, make sure if you read another one that it's an easy read and it's packed with action so you don't get bored and lose interest because it could be a really great book if in the right mindset.


     Do something else.
          The past few days I've been going out a lot with boyfriend, like to the beach and Downtown Disney, and it's definitely helped. I really feel like reading now, especially Mark of Athena since it was published by Disney Hyperion. (Is it just me, or would it be really fun to write or work for Hyperion Publishing?)
          Maybe your brain is just requesting some vacation time. So take a breather from reading, even if it means falling a little behind a reading goal, because it'll be worth it when you're ready to read again.

     Maybe you just don't like the book.
          It's a little hard to just stop reading a book knowing you'll never pick it up again, or at least not for a long time, but sometimes what's causing the reading slump for you is just a book you really don't like. It's especially hard when it's a popular book and you want to join the hype, but it's just not doing it for you.
          It is ok.
          You don't have to finish it.
          This was me when I was reading The Young World, I got like 20 pages in and it just was not the book for me... It was written in "relatable teen" language by an adult probably trying to be cool with middle school readers, and it was pretty sexist, and I'm not easily offended.

    Watch some booktube videos.
          Watching book hauls by my favorite booktubers always gets me hyped for reading. It always just reminds me how beautiful books are; it's a person's soul and hard work just splayed across hundreds of pages. (And the book covers are pretty too).
          Also, think of a series you REALLY love and try to remember stuff you loved when you read it, like a song maybe. Play that song on repeat until you get super excited to read again. That always helps me, especially when I need to get back into writing.

     Or if all else fails, push through it.
          But don't push yourself. If you don't feel like reading, don't read, or else it'll start to feel like a chore. So just every day when you're bored read 10 or 20 pages until you get back into the groove. This usually helps with life is really busy, like during school, but you want to keep yourself reading.



     So there are a few of my tips for coming out of a reading slump, and I hope you found them helpful or inspirational for reading again.
     Thanks for reading!
                    -Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment